What counts in music today
This Sunday, local rockers Harry and the Potters celebrate their sixth annual “Yule Ball’’ at the Middle East, a multi-artist, family-friendly, seasonal benefit concert celebrating all things related to the famous boy wizard of page and screen. We rang Paul DeGeorge of the Potters to get his recommendations for five offbeat gift ideas for the Hogwarts-obsessed person on your holiday shopping list. No access to Diagon Alley is necessary, all of DeGeorge’s choices are available online.
1. International Quidditch Association T-Shirts The website for the sponsors of the Quidditch World Cup offers casual wear including a shirt featuring “a dude reaching after a snitch. I thought that was pretty cool,’’ says DeGeorge of the official sport of Potter-dom. (www.internationalquidditch.org)
2. “We Are Wizards.’’ (DVD) “It’s a documentary about people who have been creatively inspired by the Harry Potter series.’’ Including HATP. (www.wearewizards-themovie.com)
3. “Time Turner’’ Necklaces and Lightning Bolt Earrings DeGeorge deems the official Warner Brothers “Time Turner’’ necklaces (www.wbshop.com) “elegant’’ or recommends finding lightning bolt earrings at your favorite jeweler. (There are many styles at www.etsy.com). “It’s a really subtle and smart gift for the girlfriend who likes Harry Potter.’’
4. Donation to the Harry Potter Alliance This charitable foundation, cofounded by HATP, aims to “get kids involved in social issues’’ including literacy and human rights. (www.thehpalliance.org)
5. Magic Wand DeGeorge has some homemade wands he appreciates but admits that he would secretly love to get his hand on the “official’’ Dumbledore wand. (www.wbshop.com)