You need four tall ramekins that are each 1 cup capacity. A mandoline or another hand-held slicing device is useful here.
|Butter (for the dishes)|
|6||Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes|
|1||red cooking apple (such as Cortland, Paula Red, or Jonagold), cored and finely sliced|
|1||piece of camembert (9 ounces)|
|4||tablespoons butter, melted|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|3/4||teaspoon ground allspice|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh oregano|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Butter the ramekins, line the bottom of each with a circle of parchment paper cut to fit it. Brush the paper with butter.
2. Peel the potatoes and rinse them. Pat them dry with paper towels. With a mandoline or chef's knife, slice the potatoes very thinly; set aside. Core the apple. With a mandoline or a chef's knife, slice it finely; set aside.
3. Slice the camembert in 8 long pieces. Remove the rind. Cut each slice in two.
4. Layer the bottom and sides of the ramekins with potato slices, covering the surfaces completely. Pour 1 teaspoon of butter on this layer and press the potatoes down firmly. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, a pinch of allspice, and chopped oregano. Top with a slice of apple. Add more potatoes, butter, and seasonings, then a slice of apple.
5. Put 2 pieces of cheese on top of the apple and press down again. Continue layering with potatoes, seasonings, apple, and cheese, ending with potatoes. Brush with melted butter and press down.
6. Set the ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake them for about 40 minutes or until they are firm and golden.
7. Remove the ramekins from the oven and set them aside to cool for a few minutes. Run the tip of a knife around the edge of each ramekin. Using oven mitts, turn them out onto salad plates. Discard the parchment paper rounds. - Béatrice Peltre