|12||thin slices Serrano ham or other flavorful ham|
|12||large sea scallops (about 1 1/4 pounds)|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|20||fava bean pods|
|2||cups chicken stock|
|3/4||cup shucked fresh green peas|
|10||spears fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Morel mushrooms (see recipe)|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|3||tablespoons creme fraiche or heavy cream|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh chervil|
2. Carefully tear open each fava pod and use your finger to remove the beans from the lining.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the fava beans and cook for 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to remove the beans from the water. Transfer to ice water to cool. Lift the beans from the water.
4. Use the tip of a paring knife to make a slit in the outer sheath of each bean and slide the smooth beans inside into a bowl. Discard the outer sheaths.
4. Add the pearl onions to the saucepan of boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes. Use the slotted spoon to remove the onions from the water. Transfer to the ice water to cool.
5. Remove the onions from the water and peel off the skins; set aside.
6. Drain the boiling water. In the same saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the peas and asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the onions and mushroom mixture. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Turn the heat to the lowest setting. Add the fava beans.
5. Meanwhile, in a large heavy-based skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil. Cook the scallops for 3 minutes on a side. Remove them from the pan and transfer to a paper towel. Slip out and discard toothpicks.
6. Stir the creme fraiche or heavy cream and chervil into the vegetable mixture. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if you like.
7. Spoon the vegetable mixture onto 4 deep serving plates. Add 3 scallops to each plate. Karoline Boehm-Goodnick