Makes about 30
The dough for these cookies is very forgiving and easy to work with. Use the best quality olive oil you can find.
|1/4||cup olive oil|
|1/4||cup dry red wine|
|Extra flour (for sprinkling)|
2. Add the flour gradually, incorporating the liquid mixture. Continue to add flour until the mixture forms a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto clean work surface and begin to knead, adding flour as necessary, until the dough is smooth and not sticky. Cover with a clean dish towel, and let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
4. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. To shape the rings: Place the remaining sugar on a plate. Cut the dough into four equal pieces and roll each piece into a fat cylinder. Cut each cylinder into 5 or 6 2-inch pieces. Gently roll the pieces of dough between your hands to form a 6-inch "snake" about the width of a pencil. Turn the ends to meet and press them together.
6. Carefully drop each ring onto the plate of sugar. Turn once to coat both sides of the rings, and place them on the baking sheets 2 inches apart; they will not spread during baking.
7. Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, or until they are lightly browned. They will continue to crisp as they cool.Judith Barrett