Ask the butcher to cut the meat partially through the bone into four pieces. Roasting time will vary depending on the size of the leg. The traditional accompaniment is roast potatoes.
|1||bone-in leg of lamb (4 pounds) preferably young spring lamb|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|2||tablespoons dry white wine or lemon juice|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|3||sprigs fresh rosemary, snipped in half|
2. Set the oven at 475 degrees.
3. Transfer the roasting pan to the oven and roast the lamb for 15 minutes.
4. Turn the meat over, and continue roasting for 15 minutes.
5. Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees, and continue roasting, basting occasionally with the juices in the pan, for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is cooked through, well browned, and falling off the bone. Total cooking time is 1 3/4 to 2 hours.
6. Let the lamb rest for 5 minutes before serving.