|1/4||cup olive oil|
|8||ounces linguica, diced|
|3||cloves garlic, chopped|
|2||medium onions, thinly sliced|
|2||each red and green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into strips|
|1||serrano or other hot chili pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced|
|2||teaspoons salt, or to taste|
|1||teaspoon dried thyme|
|3||medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped|
|2||cups white wine|
|1||tablespoon anchovy paste|
|1||can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained|
|1 1/2||pounds skinless boneless cod or haddock|
2. In large flameproof casserole, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the linguica and cook, stirring often, until it releases its fat.
3. Add garlic, onions, peppers, chili pepper, and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the paprika and thyme. Continue cooking for 3 minutes more.
5. Stir in the tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes turn into a pulp. Pour in the wine. Bring to a boil and simmer the mixture until it reduces by half.
6. Stir in the anchovy paste and water. Return the mixture to a boil. Add the chickpeas, cod or haddock, and mussels.
7. Cover with the lid and transfer to the oven. Cook the stew for 20 to 30 minutes or until the fish is opaque and all the mussels have opened. Karoline Boehm-Goodnick