|1/2||cup olive oil|
|3||teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (reserve stems)|
|4||garlic cloves, smashed|
|2||medium beets, peeled and cut into 6 wedges|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||medium carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise|
|2||medium parsnips, halved lengthwise and crosswise|
|2||small onions, peeled and quartered|
|2||medium purple-topped turnips, cut into 6 wedges|
|2||medium Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, cut into 6 wedges|
2. In a small skillet heat the oil, thyme stems, and garlic over low heat for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl combine the beets, 1 teaspoon of the oil mixture, 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme, salt, and pepper. Arrange the beets in one layer on a hot baking sheet.
4. After 15 minutes, use the same bowl to combine the carrots, parsnips, onions, 1 tablespoon of the oil mixture, 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped thyme, salt, and pepper. Arrange on the second hot sheet.
5. After 10 minutes, combine the turnips, potatoes, 2 teaspoons of the oil mixture, 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, and salt and pepper. Arrange on the third sheet.
6. Roast the vegetables 20 minutes more, turning once. In a large bowl or platter, combine all the vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining oil, and add salt and pepper, if you like. Keri Fisher