This crunchy, chewy, flavorful salad makes a light supper with broiled chicken breasts and wilted spinach or Swiss chard.
|1||cup of long- or short-grain brown rice|
|1 1/2||cups water|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|Seeds of 1 medium-size pomegranate (about 1 cup)|
|1/2||cup golden raisins|
|1/2||cup whole, unblanched almonds, toasted until golden|
|1||yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into fine matchsticks|
|1/3||cup freshly chopped parsley|
|4||scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal|
|1||tablespoon red winevinegar|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|1/2||cup feta cheese, crumbled|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Spread the rice in an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish.
2. Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the rice. Cover the dish tightly with tin foil, transfer to oven, and bake for 1 hour or until all liquid has been absorbed.
3. Remove the rice from oven, carefully peel back the foil, and fluff the rice with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool.
4. Sprinkle the rice with oil and toss gently with 2 forks.
5. Add the pomegranate seeds, raisins, almonds, bell pepper, parsley, scallions, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with feta.