Apple crumb pie
Makes 1 9-inch pie
You can make the pie as is with just a crumb topping, or add a second crust to the top. This generous pie goes a long way.
|1||recipe best pie pastry (see left )|
|6||large Northern Spy, Jonathan, Cortland, Baldwin, Golden Delicious, or other baking apples|
|1/2||cup granulated sugar|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|2||tablespoons lemon juice|
|1 1/2||tablespoons flour|
2. Set the oven at 400 degrees.
3. Peel, core, and slice the apples. In a bowl, toss the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, flour, and raisins. Transfer the apples to the dough.
|1||cup dark brown sugar|
|1/4||cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut up|
|1/2||cup chopped pecans|
|2||tablespoons whole milk|
2. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples. Spoon the milk over the crumbs.
3. Bake the pie on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling at the edges.