Top 10 Names moments of 2009
1. The Brady Bundchen bunch: 2009 was all about Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen. They got married. They got married again. They got pregnant. They had a baby boy. They waited a long time to name him. They looked really nice.
2. Katie Holmes and Suri take Boston: Boston became tabloid central when Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz came to town to film the action-comedy "Knight & Day." But the paparazzi were more interested in Cruise's wife and daughter where Katie and Suri shopped and snacked while Tom worked.
3. Steven Tyler is the rainbow: After falling off a stage during a show in South Dakota, Aerosmith's frontman took a turn for the worse, when he told a crowd at a Joe Perry Project show, "I, [expletive], am the rainbow!" and announced plans for his own solo project. He recently entered rehab for a painkiller addiction and claims Aerosmith will go on.
4. Traffic, baby, traffic: Local boy Ben Affleck spent most of the year here, filming "The Company Men" with Kevin Costner, and then directing and starring in "The Town." It was all good unless you lived in the North End, where "The Town" messed with traffic for weeks.
5. Frenzy on the Vineyard: Martha's Vineyard was a certifiable echo chamber this summer. Locals were agog about where President Obama would eat lunch, and islanders were certain that Chelsea Clinton would marry Marc Mezvinsky there by Labor Day. Except they didn't. The couple announced their engagement last month.
6. Donnie all a-Twitter: It's surprising that Donnie Wahlberg managed to get any work done this year considering how much time he spent on Twitter sending personal notes to fans and pumping out daily affirmation. He even tweeted pictures of himself getting a cortisone shot for a herniated disc at New England Baptist Hospital. Hangin' tough, indeed.
7. Todd English stays single: The celebrity chef failed to show up for his wedding to Erica Wang, and the break-up was messy Wang partying with family after English failed to show, and English alleging abuse by Wang.
8. Justin Timberlake doesn't come to Boston: When fans heard the pop star would film scenes for the movie "The Social Network" at the Thirsty Scholar, the stalking plans began but Timberlake wound up shooting the scenes in Los Angeles. Cry us a river.
9. Cameron Diaz finds a hookah: Diaz, who was in town to shoot "Knight & Day," told Jimmy Fallon she met a bunch of young people on Boston Common who were smoking out of a hookah which is one of the reasons why the city is so great. Whatever boosts tourism.
10. A vampire in Natick: It wasn't just the kids who were giddy about meeting "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" star Kellan Lutz at the Natick Collection. Some of the "Twi-moms" were as excited to meet Emmett Cullen as their kids were.