After being away in the Adirondacks for a week, I'm catching up on some book news:
= The Brewster Book Store received a nod from the Christian Science Monitor in a piece about bookshops worth a trip.
= A spirited debate in the Mass. Legislature about which novel deserves to be the "state" book.
= Look for the announcement tomorrow at noon of the finalists for this year's National Book Awards.
= Who knew? The Brown Bookstore in Providence, R.I., delivers! Just not to dorms.
= Forbes magazine's annual list of "The World's Best Paid Authors":
1. J.K. Rowling ($300 million)
2. James Patterson ($50 million)
3. Stephen King ($45 million)
4. Tom Clancy ($35 million)
5. Danielle Steel ($30 million)
6. John Grisham (tied at $25 million)
7. Dean Koontz (tied at $25 million)
8. Ken Follett ($20 million)
9. Janet Evanovich ($17 million)
10. Nicholas Sparks ($16 million)