Norfolk DA Morrissey crossed center line just before four-car crash; Milton chief says no indication alcohol or cellphone use played a role

MILTON — Norfolk District Attorney Michael W. Morrissey was heading home when he drifted across the yellow line on Centre Street here Tuesday, helping to trigger a four-car crash that sent four people to the hospital, officials said.

Morrissey, 58, continues to recover today at an undisclosed area hospital, according to his spokesman, David Traub.

“District Attorney Morrissey is awake and talking to family members,’’ Traub wrote in an e-mail.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Traub declined further comment and referred questions about the crash and its investigation to Milton police. In a statement, Milton Deputy Police Chief John King said Morrissey was driving home from his Canton office at the time of the 6 p.m. crash.

“For some unknown reason, he crossed the double yellow lines and collided with two other vehicles in the westbound lane,” King said. “A fourth vehicle swerved to avoid the collision and went off the roadway.”

He said police cited two drivers for motor vehicle infractions, but he did not name them.

“I do not comment on the identities or charges of individuals who have a right to be heard on those citations in court first,” he said.

King said in a follow-up email that there was no indication that alcohol, texting, or other cellphone use were factors in the accident.

He said the incident report was not available, and he would not release additional information on the citations.

According to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, Morrissey has a spotless driving record.

According to Milton Fire Department records, the crash took place in the 300 block of Centre Street. Arriving firefighters saw a total of four vehicles involved, one of which had rolled over.

Four people were transported to area hospitals by Fallon Ambulance crews — three adults and one child. Traub said three people were treated at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Milton and released on Tuesday, leaving Morrissey as the only person still hospitalized.

The fire department summary of the incident states that one of those hurt was so seriously injured that a Milton firefighter had to drive the Fallon ambulance to the Boston Medical Center so the two paramedics could devote their full attention to their patient.

A Boston Medical Center spokeswoman said Morrissey is not listed as a patient at their hospital.

Milton firefighters do not routinely collect the names of patients.